Stress and anxiety are two things that are sometimes inevitable in life. When we encounter these feelings, sometimes we feel hopeless. Our thoughts are racing, our hearts may be pounding and we may feel like things are spiraling out of control, but this isn’t necessarily true. Knowing how to control your stress and anxiety is extremely important to your health and well-being. There can be serious repercussions to your physical and emotional health that can stem from stress and anxiety, such as high blood pressure, heart disease, obesity and even depression and anxiety issues. Here are some helpful tips on how to eliminate stress and anxiety in your day-to-day life.
1) Exercising – Working out is a great way to relieve stress. Yoga, in particular, is a very good way to work out that aids greatly in eliminating stress. While working out, your body releases endorphins, which are essentially “feel good” hormones. In fact, endorphins can actually act as pain killers and aid in sleep, which brings us to our second tip…
2) Sleeping Well – Sleeping is a necessary human function. When we are stressed about something, we tend to stay up late and complete a task and/or our thoughts can keep us awake. Sleep deprivation can affect your mood and your judgments, so getting enough sleep can aid in those areas.
3) Eat Well – You really are what you eat. Comfort foods are not always the best way to help stress. In fact, these foods can ultimately make you feel worse. Be kind to your body and choose a healthier “comfort food”. Your body will appreciate it.
4) Self-Talk/Help – Finding comfort within is extremely important. Learn what makes you comfortable and feel at peace. Give yourself a little pep talk and always remember that everything is going to be okay, and “This too shall pass”. You are stronger than you believe you are. Anxiety and stress are both temporary, and reminding yourself that will help you go forward.
5) Journaling – Lastly, Journaling has been to shown to be highly effective in coping with stress or anxiety. When you are feeling anxious or stressed about something pick up a piece of paper or type out what is on your mind. Sometimes just the action of getting it out of your mind and “onto paper”, will start to relieve the stress and anxiety.
Hope this is helpful and the tips make a difference for you. If you need any extra support with stress or anxiety, contact us at Life Circles. We are always here to help.